Wednesday, June 8, 2011

All About Samantha

Hey everyone!

June is "Adopt a Shelter Cat Month" and I thought I'd go ahead and tell my cat's story in honor of this awesome month. (It's also dairy month or something-BOO)

I have lived in Brooklyn for about 5 out of the 7 years I've been in NYC and one thing that you can't miss about this borough is all the stray cats. It breaks my heart and thank god I don't live alone or I would probably take all of them in. Thankfully there are lots of shelters in NYC doing this for me. I think cat adoption is a cool thing to promote.

This is Samantha





I know! She's such a pretty girl. She's also a total slut which begins our tale. (tail? yes, no? too much?)

Samantha was a pregnant alley cat who rubbed up on a pair of legs belonging to the right person. A friend of my friend felt her little kitties moving around inside her and just couldn't leave her on the street. He and his girlfriend took her in and waited for the cuties to be born. After finding homes for the kittens they wanted to also find a home for mom. I volunteered and shortly later she moved in.

We became fast friends.



Samantha is brave, weird, and lazy. She is super friendly, loves to rub on your legs, demands that the bathroom door always be open, and will not tolerate me hitting the snooze button repeatedly She has a low grumbly purr, hogs the bed, and likes to sit on my lap when I'm trying to write. She's also super talkative and is responsive to conversation directed at her. It's very cute.

One of the things I noticed about Samantha when her kitties were around was that she seemed like she did not want to be a mom. Obviously she hooked up with some male alley cat while she was in heat and was not intending to get pregnant. (as if cats EVER intend to get pregnant) Her foster parents said she was very loving and protective when her kittens were helpless and new but as soon as they were exploring and eating dry food she was over it. You could tell she did not want to be a mom and was bummed out about the whole thing.


Ok I feel like this got a little heavy just now. Cute picture of the cat!


Anyway. Bottom line. Samantha is awesome. You should adopt a cat too! Think you hate cats? You've never had a cat. They are such great pets. (I am sad if you have allergies)

Check out Clyde. He is an orange tabby in Queens looking for a home. I had an orange tabby in college and he was so loving. Orange tabbies are shy so you have to be patient but once they open up they are amazing.

How are you celebrating Adopt a Shelter Cat month? I'm feeding Samantha baby food. I've never seen a cat look so happy. It's like cat crack.

Hope you're all well out there. Until next time, I'll be sleeping on the floor until I can figure out how to get this one to share the bed with me.



All the best!
Love, Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment