Thursday, August 4, 2011

Laura Sees Movies: Crazy Stupid Love

Take it easy Ryan Gosling fans. I know you're excited.

Well, well, well, another romantic comedy. Actually I'm going to be bold and say that this movie, although quite funny, and definitely marketed as a traditional comedy, deals with some heavy stuff and feels more like a drama that makes you laugh then a standard comedy.

The preview sort of compounds all the laughing parts and makes it seem more fast paced and less intense then it actually is. Each of our characters is in love with someone. We don't always know who and we don't always know how it's going to work out but it's all about what love does to each individual.

I liked it. Steve Carell is wonderful and Julianne Moore is amazing too (duh). Their love story is the one I became the most attached too, and although many might complain about the inconclusive way it ends, I was quite touched and enjoyed their portrayal of a couple going through hard times. Authentic and sweet.

Ok, ok, ladies calm down. Of course I'm going to talk about the eye candy. I like that Ryan Gosling too. He's a good actor, albeit not exactly my type (although he could be depending on how tall he is. anyone know? I'm very shallow) I do easily see why he makes all the girls scream. His character falls for the beautiful Emma Stone. Those who know me know I am a big fan of this young lady. I think she is smart, interesting, and talented. I hope her career is blessed with long legs. Their romance might not be as juicy or as fleshed out as I had hoped, and part of me even thinks they could have had a movie of their own, but everything you do see is great.

Marisa Tomei is funny. The story line with the babysitter is funny. And a full fledged metrosexual Ryan Gosling giving Steve Carell fashion advice is very funny. There is also a wildly unexpected climactic scene which brings big laughs and simultaneously raises all of the emotional stakes.

Definitely worth watching. A moving, realistic portrayal of love, with some silliness thrown in for good measure. It sort of has too much going on and sort of doesn't flesh out the side love stories as much as I'd like, but the laughs are enough to make up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment