Friday, August 5, 2011

Laura Sees Movies: Diary of a Wimpy Kid-Roderick Rules: Movies on a Plane Edition


Diary of a Wimpy Kid! I LOVED this movie when I first saw it. Ironically I saw the original Diary of a Wimpy Kid on a plane because I thought it looked cute. I figured, eh, if it sucks, I'll switch to a different movie. IT DOES NOT SUCK! It's so cute and good and funny and Steve Zahn is in it! Love it!

Anyways, when I saw that there was a sequel coming out, Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick Rules, I was super excited. I was glad to see so many other plane riders had enjoyed it too and I couldn't wait to go see it. Unfortunately, it's a little difficult to convince a friend to go see the sequel to a kids movie with you because you saw the original on a plane and are insisting that it was great, so I never caught it while it was in the theater. Take note that I wanted to though. Happily, I would have paid full theatre price to see this, I just didn't end up making it. You can imagine my thrill when I saw it was an option on my flight.

Roderick is our hero's older brother. This movie focuses on the relationship between the two boys and takes them through a few ups and downs. It does not start out strong. It seems a little corny and several moments in the opening sequences feel a bit forced. Hey kids, it's the same cast! Remember this guy? And so on.

However, as it gains momentum, the charm and genuine likability of the original movie returns. And as the meaning behind the title 'Rodrick Rules' is revealed, the fun begins. There are more young adult themes to this story, Greg has a crush on a pretty blonde girl, Rodrick and his family address his desire to be a professional musician, and there is a classic John Hughes-esque house party.

Overall I enjoyed it. There is a worth-the-wait payoff in the climax which despite all that has happened, causes you to fall back in love with Greg, Roderick, and their mom and dad. And a few of the seemingly forced moments make great callback jokes later which can almost allow me to forgive their awkward introduction.

I say watch it! Actually, watch the first one, cause it's amazing, and then if you like it, watch the second one. It's a solid sequel, it has all the qualities I loved from the original and told a new story at the same time. Part 2 is not as great, but if you love the original it's worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment