Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Laura Sees Movies: Cedar Rapids: Movies on a Plane Edition



Cedar Rapids. I was half interested in watching this when it came out, it looked funny enough, I like that Ed Helms, and I'm partial to anything that makes fun of small town life. (hint-I am from a small town)

I didn't see it for whatever reason, but it probably would have snuck on to my netflix queue eventually so I was glad to see it as an option on the digiplayer.

Cedar Rapids was much darker then I expected it to be, and honestly a lot more interesting. The dark vibe set in fairly early in the story as Ed Helms's character is chosen to go to Cedar Rapids for an insurance conference due to his fellow salesman's untimely death via autoerotic asphyxiation.

The stakes are high, especially given our leading man's innocent nature, and you quickly learn that he has entered a rough and tumble conference of his peers who operate with an attitude of "what happens at Cedar Rapids, stays at Cedar Rapids." Small town ideals are shattered, and the curtain is pulled back as our protagonist reveals the corruption of his professional superiors.

John C Reilly shines as an unhappy alcoholic, an almost unrecognizable Anne Heche is surprisingly sympathetic in an ugly role, and Alia Shawkat (remember Maeby from Arrested Development?) makes a standout appearance as a prostitute in an intense drug addled party sequence.

I enjoyed Cedar Rapids thoroughly. It has a star studded cast (did I mention Sigourney Weaver?) and it tells a classic story. A small town man goes head to head with the big city bad guys. Will he hold on to his ideals? Who wins in the end? Does it change him for better or for worse? I don't want to tell you cause it's good and I want you to watch it.

Yes Cedar Rapids. You are very interesting and I like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment