Monday, August 22, 2011

Laura Sees Movies: The Future

Miranda July's sweet and amazing new movie is showing in just a select few cities, but if you visit her website you can check out her blog and see where it's going to be.

This movie is just wonderful. I read several marvelous reviews before I saw it. That combined with my friend's fondness for Miranda July in general is what got us to go out.

I'm so glad we did. The movie is hard to describe in any way that could possibly do it justice but I will try. It is heart-wrenching, sweet, hilarious, complicated, sad, goofy, simple, and strange. The word I've heard several other reviews use is whimsical. Our heroine, Sophie, is so sympathetic I felt as though her struggles were mine. Her sweet boyfriend Jason is the same, someone I felt very connected to and understood.

The story is narrated by an alley cat who is currently under medical supervision in a shelter that Jason and Sophie have agreed to adopt. They realize taking in a sick cat will change their lives and decide to live it up the final month they have to themselves before he joins their family. The cat himself as a character moved me in the most surprising way. I adopted an alley cat myself this year and Pawpaw's journey gave me insight into her scarred soul and previous life on the streets in a way I'd never imagined. I was dying to come home and see her once the credits rolled.

This movie will touch your heart. It carries you off to a world that feels familiar as though it's happening somewhere we all have been. Lovely and powerful, it is by far the best movie I've seen this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment