Monday, January 9, 2012

Laura Sees Movies: The Artist


The Artist. Widely regarded as the front runner for all of the major Oscars (and the nominees haven't even been announced yet) this film is getting a lot of attention. It has an unheard of 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and has been called, dazzling, close to perfection, innovative, ravishing, charming, beautifully shot, etc.

I agree. The Artist is a fabulous movie. Wonderfully entertaining, sweet, moving, and very funny. When I headed down to the Angelica to see a silent film, I was certainly not expecting to laugh the way I did. I was pleasantly surprised.

The performances are excellent, the costumes are gorgeous, and it also features the best musical score I've heard in ages. However it should be noted that the composer utilizes some preexisting music from other film scores and there is a touch of drama surrounding that subject.

The Artist is a true homage to cinema, and movie lovers like myself appreciate nothing more.  There is a unique element to watching a movie made in the fashion of a classic. I had a lot of fun seeing a silent movie on the big screen, something I had never done, and found the style and execution to be perfect for this story. A fairly ground breaking format for Hollywood (or maybe not since all they did was re-boot an 80 year old format) the film feels fresh and different. Mostly because we never get to see movies like this anymore.

Despite all this, I found the story to be quite simple, predictable, and without risk. Although a sweet love story, I was notably more emotional over our protagonist's relationship with his dog, another example of silence working in The Artist's favor, the unspoken love they share was clear and most powerful.

I'm not sure why I'm surprised, but I'm disappointed that this is the film everyone is up in arms about. I know that my preference for a darker movie is my own but I do wish people would get a little more daring with their storytelling. The Artist is very daring in it's execution but plays it safe with it's story. I demand more, Hollywood. I want more.

That being said. The Artist is a lovely movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment